After a long time coming, I've decided it would be worth a shot to update my old work from school to fit more with a PBR friendly pipeline. I knew to be done properly it would take a lot of redoing of textures, so I tried to hack my way through without wasting to much time and focusing on the main issues, while preserving as much textural detail as possible. Some textures were more succesful than others, but it was a definite improvement.
I should give a huge shout out to Samantha Bean for pretty much redoing my light rigs, making the final look SO much better. Boy, lighting is important, let it do it's thing, fellow character artists.
Checkout my Polycount thread for some insights in to thinking process: http://polycount.com/discussion/146852/characters-and-stuff#latest